CAG's Public Safety Program promotes public safety by organizing and engaging neighbors as well as hiring a CAG Security Officer to make a more safe and comfortable neighborhood for everybody.
CAG Security Officer
- Through the generous donations from the Georgetown community and sponsors of the Public Safety Program we hired a CAG Security Officer
- Our officer is trained and uninformed by the well respected international firm Securitas Security Services Inc
- Our officer works 5 nights a week patrolling Georgetown and reports any suspicious or dangerous activity directly to the Metropolitan Police Department
- Our officer is not armed and provides a visual deterrent to crime while being the "eyes and ears" for our community
- Residents who donate to the Public Safety Program can request personalized services from the officer
- They will escort residents (and/or their guests) between home and car or to neighborhood engagements
- Donors can also request the officer to check up on their house and gather accumulated mail when on vacation
- Every donor receives detailed information including the Officer's work cellphone number and duty hours
- Over 75 Georgetown residents have volunteered to be “crime communications central” for their respective neighborhood blocks
- Block Captains work to keep their neighbors informed and they receive up-to-date notices about crime on or near their blocks
- Block Captains give CAG and the MPD invaluable feedback about specific concerns of their neighborhood and specific block
Click Here to view our Block Captain list
Working With MPD
- CAG’s Public Safety Committee has been working with the leadership of our MPD Second District to achieve more community-oriented and strategic policing in Georgetown
- CAG regularly hosts meetings between the officers and leaders of MPD and residents to keep our community up-to-date and educated about current policing strategies and evolving threats to the Georgetown neighborhood
- CAG is currently implementing a camera program on designated blocks which criminals are likely to use to enter and exit Georgetown
- These areas do not have MPD security cameras and the information gathered from these cameras is a valuable resource for our community
- No active monitoring of the video takes place and the stored video is automatically erased every 30 days
Learn more about CAGs public safety services by Clicking Here
An engaged, vigilant community is vital to preventing crime
In response to serious and wide-spread community concerns about public safety, CAG has broadened its Public Safety Program. The program hires private guards, organizes block captains, conducts a pilot camera project, and works closely with the Metropolitan Police Department. The CAG initiative is 100% paid for by the community and needs your support to continue. All contributions are tax deductible. The expanded program is based on the premise that there is strength in numbers and community involvement. We urge you to join other Georgetown residents in supporting the initiative by making a tax-deductible donation now. Financial support from all residents–at any level–is essential to protect our families and property.
All donors receive a CAG Public Safety window sticker and special information about the program, including the guards' cell phone numbers. Only donors can contact the guards directly any time they are on duty. Many residents find it useful to have the guards escort them (or their guests) between home and car and to have the guards pay extra attention to their property while on vacation. Since we expanded our program to include this service we have had excellent reports about our guards responding quickly and efficiently to donors’ special requests.
Paying for it - The Price of Increased Security
The expanded Public Safety Program costs more than ever before. The good news is that donations to the Public Safety and Guard programs are completely tax deductible. We are asking each resident of Georgetown to give as generously as possible. If we all share the financial responsibility at the highest level each household can afford, we will be able to sustain a comprehensive program.
Please join your neighbors in supporting this important program that keeps your neighborhood closely monitored at night and provides individualized security service. We’ll all be safer and more connected!
SPECIAL THANKS TO WASHINGTON FINE PROPERTIES, OUR COMMUNITY PARTNER FOR PUBLIC SAFETY for THIRTEEN YEARS!
Light Up Georgetown to Deter Crime
CAG urges all residents to "leave the porch light on" to deter night-time crime. Click here for information about the benefits of increased lighting in public areas, recommendations for timers and bulbs, and cost implications.
Information on Security Cameras
CAG has found surveillance cameras to be a useful adjunct to our Public Safety Program. Click here to learn how residents can help by installing cameras on their own homes and in surrounding alleys, and for product recommendations and contact information for local installers.